Peter Navarro, an advisor to former U.S. President Donald Trump, arrives at the E. Barrett Prettyman Courthouse on September 07, 2023 in Washington, DC.
Kevin Dietsch | Getty Images
A jury began deliberations Thursday in the trial of Trump White House trade advisor Peter Navarro, who is charged with two counts of criminal contempt of Congress.
Navarro had said he failed to comply with subpoenas seeking documents and his testimony to a House committee investigating efforts to reverse the 2020 election results because former President Donald Trump instructed him to assert executive privilege.
“Peter Navarro made a choice. He chose not to comply with the congressional subpoena. Our government only works when people play by the rules,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Elizabeth Aloi told jurors in closing arguments in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C.
“We are a nation of laws and our system does not work if people think they are above the law,” Aloi said. “If people like the defendant can choose to ignore the government’s subpoenas, the work of our government to serve its people cannot get done.”
Navarro’s lawyer Stan Woodward said, “For the government to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt it also has to prove that Dr. Navarro’s failure to comply with the subpoena was not the result of accident, mistake or inadvertence.”
Woodward argued that prosecutors had failed to give evidence of where Navarro was physically at the time he was due to appear before the select House committee.
If convicted, Navarro faces a maximum possible sentence of one year in prison.
Another former top Trump White House aide, Steve Bannon, was convicted last year of two counts of contempt of Congress for failing to comply with subpoenas issued by the House committee. Bannon, who was setenced to four months in jail in that case, remains free as he appeals that conviction.
This is breaking news. Check back for updates.